I am...

My photo
An aspiring opera singer with a shopping addiction.

Friday, July 17, 2009

Feldenkrais Friday

For almost two months now, I have been driving past this adorable yoga studio in Inman Square called Art & Soul...trust me, the picture doesn't do it justice.


I finally checked out their website and discovered that one of the many classes offered there is in the Feldenkrais Method. For those of you who are unfamiliar, Fledenkrais is a method of movement and body-awareness that is supposed to be very good for musicians including classical singers! Clearly I had to check it out.

I had no idea what to expect, as I had only heard of the method and never experienced it. The entire class was spent on the floor completing tiny, intricate movements, and mostly just becoming aware of our bodies. The instructor would give us reminders like, "Notice your breathing." and "How do your shoulders move when you..."

The hour flew by! The class actually ended up running overtime. At the end, we were asked to get up and walk around the room, and to say a few words about how we felt. I felt so incredibly relaxed! The class really shut off my constant mind chatter, and made my body settle down. I think it would be very interesting to see how a voice lesson would go immediately after a Feldenkrais class because when we were finished, I felt as though I could have had the best lesson ever! I guess that's why its so respected among the classical singing community.

I will definitely be a frequent visitor in the Feldenkrais class as well as other classes at Art and Soul. At only $15 a drop-in, it was COMPLETELY worth it! I recommend this class for singers at any level. It would also be beneficial for tense humans who can't shut their brains off...lucky for me, I just happen to be both :)

No comments:

Post a Comment